Flagship Chief Executive goes ‘back to the tools’ during National Apprenticeships Week
Our Chief Executive and six members of our senior management team have been back to the classroom this week in support of National Apprenticeships Week.
The senior members of staff have each spent a day learning as they shadowed apprentices across the business in roles from kitchen fitters to finance.
Flagship are helping to celebrate the success of apprenticeships while at the same time encouraging even more people to choose them as a pathway to a great career. Since launching its Apprenticeship Programme in 2014, the housing association has recruited 44 apprentices with 28 people currently undertaking courses.
Yesterday, Chief Executive David McQuade spent time in Dereham with RFT Services Electrician Max Smy to experience what it is like to be an apprentice at Flagship.
David said: “It’s been great to have the opportunity to learn from those undertaking an apprenticeship with us. It’s been insightful to see first hand what a typical day involves for one of our trade apprentices, and I’ve learnt a lot.
“Our Apprenticeships Programme offers a real prospect of permanent employment at the end which is why it’s so important that we invest in our potential future workforce.”
Max Smy said: “It’s been great to meet David, for him to come out on site and see what my role entails.
“My apprenticeship came about after I completed a BTEC in construction. It gave me an insight into electrics and that inspired me to undertake my apprenticeship. The course is great as I’m provided with all the tools and equipment I need and learning lots of new skills."
Other members of the management team who took part in the ‘back to the tools’ experience were:
- Deputy Chief Executive Helen Walsham shadowed IT Support Apprentice Joe Collins
- Chief Financial Officer David Armstrong shadowed Fleet Admin Apprentice Ross Burton
- Director of People and Places Lisa Collen shadowed Finance Apprentice Joshua Pardon
- Director of Business Growth Andrew Yuill shadowed Kitchen Fitter Apprentice Aaron Cummings
- RFT Services Operations Manager Mark Kirby shadowed Finance Apprentice Ali Burghall
- RFT Head of Operations (Trade) Dale Wordley shadowed Bright Futures Apprentices Matt Levesley and Ellie Colk
With over 20 years of experience in the housing sector, Flagship’s skilled staff are keen to pass on their knowledge to the next generation, hoping to make a difference in the housing industry.